Family appeals for information after asbestos-related death
- AuthorAndrew Stinchcombe
Susan James, widow of Robin James, a former draughtsman who worked at two power stations in the 1970s and 80s, has issued an emotional appeal for help from his former work colleagues following his death from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos.
Robin, who was originally from Leicester, joined GEC Reactor Equipment Limited in 1973 after completing his apprenticeship. Between 1976 and 1981, Robin would regularly visit Heysham Power Station and Hartlepool Power Station which were both under construction at the time.
Robin would oversee the cabling work he’d designed at the power stations and was on site while the cabling was installed, working alongside the workmen involved with the construction of the power stations.
Around Christmas 2016, Robin began to feel unwell and following a number of tests, received the shock diagnosis that he was suffering from an incurable type of cancer directly caused by asbestos exposure. His wife, Susan picks up the story:
"Until Robin started to suffer from the symptoms of mesothelioma, such as shortness of breath and coughing, he had been very fit and well and he was enjoying his life after retirement. We had been looking forward to the future and that was all taken away from us with his diagnosis. It felt as though we were being robbed of the future life we had dreamt about”.
Sadly, Robin passed away on the 4th March 2018 aged just 67 years old.
Susan has instructed Novum Law specialist asbestos disease solicitor Andrew Stinchcombe to assist with her search for justice.
Andrew said: “Mesothelioma is an incurable disease which causes significant suffering for its victims and their families. It doesn’t usually develop until many years after exposure to asbestos and can typically take anything from 15 to 60 years. Unfortunately, thousands of people die each year as a result of just going about their everyday lives, working to make a living and being exposed to asbestos dust.
“Understandably, Susan was extremely upset to learn that Robin’s illness and premature death were caused by exposure to asbestos, and we are really hoping that this appeal for information will help us find some answers for her.
“We are appealing specifically to anybody who remembers Robin or who may have worked at Heysham Power Station or Hartlepool Power Station at the time and who can provide information about where asbestos may have been present on site”