Accidents in Public & Private Places Compensation Claims

Home / Services / Personal Injury Solicitors / Accident In A Public Or Private Place

Serious accidents can happen unexpectedly when you’re away from home, in a public place or on private property.

If you or a family member has been involved in an accident in a public or private place, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Our specialist personal injury solicitors are experts in helping people injured while out and about claim maximum compensation. Whether you are injured in a street, a park, public building or business premises, or someone else’s home or garden — our team can help, even if you’re not sure who is responsible for your accident.

We have helped many people who have been injured through no fault of their own due to:

  • Accidents on private property e.g. someone else’s home or property
  • Accidents in public recreational areas e.g. parks and playgrounds
  • Accidents in public buildings e.g. libraries, museums, bus or railway stations or colleges and schools
  • Accidents in business premises e.g. supermarkets, restaurants, cafes or pubs and caravan parks
  • Sports accidents e.g. sports centres, gyms or training grounds

We understand how shocking it can be if you’re injured unexpectedly. That’s why our specialist team of serious personal injury solicitors concentrate on making the claim process as straightforward as possible. Offering home visits and bespoke service, we’ll be there for you when you need us most.

What Is A Public Place?

A public place is an indoor or outdoor area which the public have access to. Some examples of public places include: supermarkets, playgrounds, schools and streets. If your accident took place in a public place, you may be able to make a claim. Our specialist team for accidents in a public or private place will be able to advise you on the next steps to take.

What Is A Private Place?

A private place is an area exclusively used by one or more individuals for private gatherings or other personal purpose. It is somewhere the general public does not have free access. An example of a private place is a neighbour or relative’s garden or private property. It doesn’t matter if you were there as an invited guest or an uninvited guest, if your accident took place there, you may be able to make a claim. Contact our specialist team for accidents in public or private places, who will provide you with more information.

I Don’t Know Whether I Was In A Public Or Private Place?

Not a problem. Our specialist team for accidents in public or private places we will be able to discuss your situation and advise you on your claim.

Frequently Asked Questions

Our specialist team for accidents in public or private places will investigate the details of your accident to determine who — if anyone — was responsible for what happened. There’s always an element of risk with everything in life and sometimes it’s no one’s fault. However, this isn’t always the case and property occupiers, such as property owners, businesses and local authorities have a duty of care to those who visit their premises. If there is a chance your injury was preventable, you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim.

We will examine all the details of your accident and advise who was at fault. You may or may not be partially responsible for what happened but someone else (such as a business owner or local council) may also be to blame.

We’ve helped clients claim for a wide variety of injuries caused by accidents in public or private spaces, such as recreation areas or shops:

The compensation you receive depends on the severity of your injuries and the impact on your life. Severe, life-changing injuries will involve more compensation to cover medical bills, rehabilitation, care and support, adaptations to the home and loss of earnings and pension.

If you’ve suffered an injury or illness due to an accident in a public or private place, then it’s possible you may have a compensation claim. Our specialist team for accidents in public or private places offer a free, no obligation chat to assess your case and will advise you if your claim has a reasonable prospect of success.

Yes. The general rule is that you have three years from the date of the accident or the date when you realised your accident may have been caused by someone else’s negligence.

If you are claiming on behalf of a child, you can claim at any time until the child turns 18. When the child turns 18, they can bring a claim in their own right but the three year time limit will then apply and they will have until they are 21 to do so.

There are exceptions to this rule. For example, there is no time limit for people who don’t have the mental capacity to make legal decisions and different time limits apply for some injuries or illnesses sustained abroad.

Time can be a critical factor in compensation claims, so it’s important to get in touch with our specialist personal injury team as soon as possible for expert advice.

Starting a compensation claim for an accident in a public or private place is straightforward. To begin your claim, contact us on Freephone 0800 884 0777 or online for a free, no-obligation chat. Click here to learn more about our team and the high level of expertise in your area of injury.  

After an initial consultation phone call, your specialist solicitor will come to visit you in your home – or a location at your convenience – to discuss the details of your claim. This will include information such as how your injuries occurred and the impact that your injuries have on your day-to-day life, so they can understand your needs and advise you on the compensation you may be able to claim.

Our legal expert will also use this as an opportunity to talk you through the process of making a claim and to explain your funding options and any relevant paperwork for making your claim.

From that point on, your solicitor will pursue your claim on your behalf. The next step will be to contact the defendant’s insurers and to start gathering evidence to support your claim, liaising with medical experts and healthcare providers to access your records. Your solicitor will keep you updated as your claim progresses and at every step of the process.

There are no upfront or hidden costs when you make a compensation claim with Novum Law…read more

Most cases are settled without going to court. It is often necessary to issue court proceedings…read more

Yes, if your loved one died and someone else was to blame, you may be able…read more

If you are making a compensation claim and you’re unhappy with the service or advice you are…read more

If you have a question that is not listed above, please visit our FAQs page. Alternatively, please call our specialist team on Freephone 0800 884 0777 or contact us online for a free, no-obligation chat.


    Contact Our Friendly, Expert Solicitors

    *Mandatory field. We will only use data from this form to process your enquiry.

    • The professionalism with which you have handled my claim put my mind at ease and was less stressful than I could have imagined.
    • Going with Novum Law was the best thing I’ve ever done.
    • Novum won the case for me, and helped me get my life back together
    • I would have no hesitation in recommending Novum Law and your services.
    • Expertise

      Renowned expertise, proven track record

    • Support

      Here for you throughout your claim


      Interim payments and no unexpected costs

    • Rehabilitation

      Help with access to rehabilitation

    Online Now
    Hi! A real person is available 24/7 at no obligation.
    Live Chat is secure free and easy. Start whenever you are ready.
    To use this Chat window, first you need to accept our Cookie Policy; we use analytics and third-party cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website.
    Are you happy to give your consent?
    Live Chat Start Now

    To use this Chat, first you need to accept our Cookie Policy; we use analytics and third-party cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website.
    Are you happy to give your consent?

    Chat invite