Bristol University has been ordered to pay £50,000 in damages, including funeral costs, to the family of ‘hard-working and high achieving’ physics student Natasha Abrahart, who took her own life...Read more
Claire has specialised in personal injury litigation for 23 years, acting solely for Claimants. She has experience of handling claims arising out of road traffic accidents and workplace accidents and. She has extensive experience of dealing with the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) claims, under both the Untraced and Uninsured Drivers Agreements and dealing with maximum severity awards against the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).
She has expertise in dealing with claims that are complex and high value in particular dealing with claims for brain injury, chronic pain, functional neurological disorder, medically unexplained conditions and psychiatric damage. She is highly competent at analysing issues relating to liability, quantum and causation.
Claire works with multidisciplinary teams of medical and non-medical experts to support her clients and their families who have long-term care and rehabilitation needs. She has substantial experience in bringing together comprehensive rehabilitation packages for individuals who have sustained life-changing injuries and obtaining interim payments to enable her clients to obtain necessary rehabilitation.
Claire delivers a compassionate and professional approach to achieving the very best results for her clients.
Claire’s recent successes include:
- 1 million pound settlement for a 13 year old child who was hit by a car whilst crossing a road near his home. Liability for the accident was denied by the Defendant. The Claimant’s family initially instructed another firm of solicitors to take on the case. Novum Law were subsequently instructed and proceeded to issue court proceedings. The claim was subsequently approved by the High court, as the Claimant lacked capacity to litigate. This was a significant settlement for the Claimant, who had sustained a severe head injury in addition to orthopaedic injuries in the accident.
- £725,000 settlement for a 9 year old boy who was hit by the Defendant’s vehicle. Liability for the accident was admitted on behalf of the Defendant by the Motor Insurers Bureau under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement. The Claimant sustained a traumatic brain injury in the accident. However, causation of his injuries was complicated by issues of social pathology. The Claimant’s family initially instructed another firm of solicitors to take on the case. Novum Law took over the case. Extensive witness and medical evidence was obtained in support of the traumatic brain injury and how this had impacted on the Claimant’s opportunities in life and left him with significant rehabilitation, care and other needs. The claim settled shortly after a mediation hearing and was subsequently approved by the High Court.
- Acted for an individual who was assaulted and sustained a severe brain injury resulting in him being unable to return to work. His claim was presented to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) where the maximum award is limited to £500,000. The initial settlement offer was approx. £250,000 and on appeal, Novum Law were able to agree a settlement in the sum of £458,500.
- £177,500 for a 38 year old male who sustained a mild head injury and orthopaedic injuries in a road traffic accident when he was crossing a dual carriageway and was hit by the Defendant’s vehicle. A settlement was agreed without the need to issue court proceedings and without any formal admission of liability on the part of the Defendant.
- £110,000 settlement for a 72 year old Claimant, following an accident at work in which he sustained a moderate traumatic brain injury. The claim was initially progressed against three Defendants, all of whom denied liability. The claim was eventually settled in full by one Defendant without the need for court proceedings to be issued.
Activities and Achievements
Claire is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).