Today marks the start of ‘Head Awareness Week’ which takes place throughout 3rd July – 8th July and is organised by Cerebra, a UK charity dedicated to helping families of children with brain conditions.
The week is all about raising awareness of the many challenges faced by families who have children with neurological conditions such as: cerebral palsy, autistic spectrum disorders, acquired brain injuries, chromosomal/genetic conditions and developmental disorders, to name a few.
Cerebra do fantastic work helping children with brain conditions as well as their Mums, Dads, brothers, sisters and the wider family circle. Its support services include:
- Information and advice
- Face-to-face support through a network of Regional Officers who can help with form filling and letters, completion of the Disability Living Allowance form, meetings, specific local information and activities
- A sleep service to give advice and support to families on a wide range of sleep issues
- A free postal lending library for books and sensory equipment
- An innovation centre which designs bespoke equipment to meet families’ needs
- A monthly e-newsletter full of informative articles and stories
- Workshops and other events across the UK
The charity also sponsors research at six world-leading universities into the causes of cognitive, behavioural and emotional problems experienced by children with rare genetic disorders. And it aims to predict mums at risk of early delivery and prevent it from happening so that fewer babies need neonatal intensive care and do not suffer the complications of being born too early.
At Novum Law, we wholeheartedly support Cerebra’s view that there are no challenges that cannot be overcome. There is so much that can be done to help children affected by brain conditions and their families face up to the challenges they face every day and overcome them.
That’s why we will be casting our inhibitions aside and putting on our wildest, wackiest, funniest head gear including hats, fascinators and comedy wigs all for a great cause. Who says lawyers are boring?
If you would like to join in the fun and pledge your support, it’s easy to donate. All you have to do is text Head20 and the amount you’d like to give to 70070. Alternatively you can donate here.
Keep an eye out for our Twitter feed as we’ll be showing off our looks for Head Awareness Week using the hash tag #CerebraHeadAware and don’t forget to share your funny photos too if you’re taking part!
To learn more about Cerebra’s work visit: cerebra.org.uk