Novum Law recognised in prestigious Chambers & Partners Guide 2024
The team at Novum Law are delighted to be once again recognised as one of the best personal injury law firms in the South West by the leading, independent legal...
The latest data from the NHS Ambulance Trust shows that ambulance callouts for e-scooter accidents have almost doubled between 2020 and 2021.
In this time period, the number of e-scooter accidents attended by the emergency services rose from 392 to 713.
The same data, which looked at seven trusts in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, also showed a big rise in e-scooter riders being taken to A&E, with 40% more in 2021 than in 2020.
Nearly all (95%) of the reported injuries were to riders, and the remaining 5% of injuries were to pedestrians.
It isn’t clear how many scooters were on the road in 2020 and 2021, but government trial schemes are currently operating in over 30 locations around the UK.
These official schemes are currently the only way to legally ride an e-scooter on UK roads. Despite this, many privately-owned scooters are sold and used every year.
A plan to fully legalise e-scooters on public roads is also expected to be part of the new Transport Bill announced in the 2022 Queen’s Speech, and this is likely to spark another rise in usage.
Clear e-scooter safety rules needed
A recent study looked at e-scooter injuries in 3 hospitals, including one major trauma centre in central London, from March to November 2020.
It found that limb, spinal and rib fractures were the most common e-scooter injuries. These affected 83 patients, many of whom needed operations.
The report concluded that e-scooters can cause serious injury. It also said that as e-scooter use keeps increasing, more should be done to keep riders and other members of the public safe.
“This latest data shows a significant rise in the number of e-scooter injuries since the introduction of government-backed schemes.
“E-scooters have proved to be a great success in improving public transport options and are clearly popular for their convenience around towns and cities. But more emphasis needs to be placed on safety standards if they are to be legalised.
“There is currently no consistency of approach when it comes to users requiring driving licences, minimum age requirements and whether training is necessary before using an e-scooter.
“This haphazard approach can lead to confusion, misjudgement and sadly, in some cases, result in injuries. The Government must take these latest statistics seriously and enforce a robust set of rules for all e-scooter users.”
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident involving an e-scooter that wasn’t your fault, Novum Law’s team of specialist personal injury solicitors might be able to help on a ‘No Win, No Fee’ basis. To find out more, contact us on Freephone 0800 884 0777, email email@example.com or complete our online form for a free, no-obligation chat.
Are you happy to give your consent?
Contact our office
Make an enquiry