Serious concerns have been raised about the rise in the number of child pedestrians and older motorists being killed on Britain’s roads. Figures recently released from the Department for Transport...Read more
This week we are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week (17 – 23 September) to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of gas appliances.
Coordinated by the Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas, it aims to educate the general public about the dangers of badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Every year, thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning because you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
By taking care of your gas appliances properly, accidents, ill health and potential fatalities can be prevented.
The Gas Safe Register offers the following simple checks to help you minimise the risks:
- Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at StayGasSafe.co.uk.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find or check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check your engineer is qualified for the type of gas work you need doing e.g. natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information on the back of their Gas Safe ID card and the Gas Safe Register website.
- Check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
For gas safety advice and to find or check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.
More than 50 people die and 200 are left seriously ill by carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the UK.
If you believe you or a family member has been exposed to CO poisoning due to somebody else’s negligence, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. You can phone or email us for a free chat.
If you’d like to learn more about Gas Safety Week click here.