Can I make a claim if I’m hit by an uninsured driver?

  • Posted

If you have been injured in a road traffic accident that was not your fault, the law says you can make a personal injury compensation claim. If you were hit by an uninsured driver, it is still possible to make a claim. Louise Gardner from our Swindon team explains.

One of the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic is that people’s livelihoods and finances have been significantly affected and money is tight.  This has resulted in many struggling to make payments on essential items, like the cost of car insurance.

Unfortunately, this means that the numbers of people ‘rolling the dice’ and driving without insurance could creep up.

Our specialist road traffic accident solicitors have seen, and continue to see, many cases where road users, including cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and motorists are seriously injured by uninsured drivers.

The good news is, should you be unfortunate enough to be hit by an uninsured driver, it may still be possible to make a claim for personal injury to compensate for any injuries you sustained and any financial losses.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is the official body that compensates people who have been involved in accidents with negligent uninsured and untraceable drivers.

It was set up by the Government to help those who are harmed due to uninsured drivers. MIB’s aim is to reduce the number of uninsured drivers on our roads, but also to compensate those who are victims of their negligence.

Under the ‘Uninsured Drivers Agreement’ scheme, if you were injured by an uninsured driver in the UK, you can make a compensation claim from the MIB, either directly or with the help and support of a solicitor specialising in road traffic accident claims.

If you have been hit by an uninsured driver, expert legal advice is the best assurance you have of getting fully compensated for your pain and suffering and financial losses.

Three-year time limit for getting compensation

There is a strict time limit in which a claim must be brought against the MIB.  Claims must be presented to the MIB within three years of the collision.

Our advice is to speak to a personal injury solicitor specialising in road traffic accidents as soon as possible after the accident, so there is no risk of missing the three-year time limit. Sometimes, road accidents can take time to investigate and prepare.

Some victims who have been injured by uninsured drivers often feel there is nowhere left to turn. At Novum Law, our specialist team has the experience to help you with every aspect of your claim and will contact the MIB and make a claim against them in the same they as they would a normal insurer.

We have a strong track record in securing maximum compensation for people who have suffered serious injuries in accidents with uninsured drivers.

We offer No win No fee which means your compensation claim can be made to the MIB with no financial risk to you.

To speak to our personal injury solicitors for advice on making a claim involving an uninsured driver, call Freephone 0800 884 0777, email or complete our online enquiry form, to arrange a free, no-obligation chat with our expert team.

Online Now
Hi! A real person is available 24/7 at no obligation.
Live Chat is secure free and easy. Start whenever you are ready.
To use this Chat window, first you need to accept our Cookie Policy; we use analytics and third-party cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website.
Are you happy to give your consent?
Live Chat Start Now

To use this Chat, first you need to accept our Cookie Policy; we use analytics and third-party cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website.
Are you happy to give your consent?

Chat invite